Tuesday 7 April 2015

Baigan Bharta/ Roasted Eggplant Curry


I told you, I’m not a big fan of vegetables. But I’m a mother now. And you can teach the kids a healthy lifestyle only by practicing. So I try.

I learnt to prepare baigan bharta only very recently. I would always roast my eggplants in the oven grill. Up until now it used to taste just okay. And then I came across this amazing recipe at http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/baingan-bharta-recipe-punjabi-baingan-bharta-recipe/, Just Amazing! Cook the eggplant on direct flame. And the flavor and aroma is just OH My GOD! Heavenly. I’m still thinking can vegetables taste so good? I've made spice addition to this original recipe though and the flavour is more robust.

This recipe serves 2 people.
One serving of this recipe provides approximately 120 Calories.

Here is what you’ll need:


1 big eggplant (Baigan)
1 small onion finely sliced
1 medium tomato finely chopped
2 green chilli
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp chat masala
½ tsp red chilli powder
3 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Method:

  1. Wash the eggplant and pat it dry. Coat it with a thin layer of oil and roast it on open flame for 10-15 minutes till completely charred and juice oozes out.
  2. Once the eggplant cools down, peel the skin and roughly chop it.
  3. Heat oil in a kadai. Fry the ginger garlic paste and add sliced onions and green chilli.
  4. Once the onions turn soft add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Add the roasted eggplant  into this tomato-onion mixture and stir.
  6. Add the rest of the spices and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes till the raw flavor of the spices goes.
  7. Mix in the chopped coriander leaves.
  8. Serve warm.
Recipe by Zohra Sada



No comments:

Post a Comment