Tuesday 3 February 2015

Tangy Beetroot Soup


Vegetables are never a major part of the main course in our family. And beetroot, well it’s once in a blue moon mood. Honestly, I don’t cook beets any other way than this. Not because there is no other way, but because I don’t want to have it any other way.

This side dish of beet root is tangy and soupy and extremely easy. I wonder why I don’t cook it often.
Whatever I cook daily is always enough for 2. Cooking for a bigger family is always easier than making the perfect amount for 2 people. So when I shop for veggies like beets, I choose the tiniest one.

I don’t like beetroots as chunks so I slice the beets into fine slices using a slicer. I keep the consistency of this dish watery because I like it really soupy. It works well dry too.


This recipe serves 2 people.

One serving of this recipe provides approximately 96 Calories.

Here is what you'll need:

1 small beetroot
1 small onion
1 small tomato
6-7 curry leaves
2-3 green chillies
1/8 spoon tamarind
Salt  to taste
1 tbsp Oil 

Method:

  1.  Slice the beetroot, onions and tomato finely.
  2. Heat oil in a vessel .
  3. Add the curry leaves and green chillies.
  4. Add the onions and sauté it on high flame for 2 minutes. Sprinkle salt.
  5. Add the tomato. Stir it for a minute or so and add the beet root.
  6. Saute on a high flame for another minute and add  a cup of water and mix in the tamarind.
  7. Let it simmer for 10-15 mins till the beets go soft and soup reduces.
  8. Serve hot.
Recipe by Zohra Sada

No comments:

Post a Comment